Wednesday, February 13, 2008

rain rain go away

what a dreary day ... and I just came across such sad news. Congressman Tom Lantos passed away the other day; I heard nothing about it. I did not even know much about him and only vaguely recall reading that he was a Holocaust survivor. I wonder what his thoughts were as this administration has been violating laws, rights, the Constitution; as people seem so oblivious to what is happening ... I have heard many older people speak about how reminiscent these times are of the years leading up to the Holocaust, not in terms of anti-Semitism as much as in terms of the loss of liberties, the ostracization and marginalization of "them," the "others" (as in Muslims/the terrorists/Al Qaeda/the bad guys ~ no, I do not watch Lost), how the administration continues its assault met by virtual silence from the public who should be so outraged and speaking out so loudly ... I wonder if Chairman Lantos ever wrote or spoke on this subject. I'll have to look. I have been wanting to read Hannah Arendt and about Nuremburg and other works from that time period ... the parallels are chilling and it makes me quite unsettled as a Jewish mother, worried for the future ~ in all respects for my children but particularly as Jews.
http://www.speaker.gov/blog/?p=1121

No comments: