Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Welcome!

Finally! My blogosphere debut!
I have wanted to start a blog for quite awhile now. I really thought being unemployed would motivate me (cause of job death: position elimination ~ gotta love the corporate mumbo jumbo). But that was a couple of months ago already.
So what was the ultimate push? Politics, of course.
But not of the usual sort. I am not getting too invested in the primary since I do not believe we are going to have an election in November (you heard it here first!) but that is a different post ...
I am enraged today (you'll learn that I tend toward the melodramatic) about hearings that will occur on Capitol Hill tomorrow. I thought I was going to testify at one, which was beyond exciting since I envisioned at 35 a five-year plan that would have me doing just that by 40.
As it turns out, I will not be in DC tomorrow, but Roger Clemens will. (His hearing is not the one I was hoping to attend.) And this is why I am enraged. I could care less about the steroid scandal ... really. I'm a lawyer (non-practicing but a lawyer nonetheless), I have a sports fanatic, young and impressionable son ... it should bother me that professional athletes take illegal drugs ~ but it doesn't.
What burns me up is that tomorrow's news will be all about Clemens and steroids and the propriety of elected officials posing for photographs and seeking autographs a week before evaluating Clemens' testimony. Especially here in New York, that hearing will be a top story, if not the lead.
What we may not hear much about, if at all, is a hearing about extending the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). For all the people that have some idea about the Mitchell Report and the steroid scandal, there are probably at least 10 others who have no idea about FMLA ~ what it is, that there is a hearing about it and why it should be extended.
That is what enrages me. And I will write more about it later.

No comments: